We consider our members an essential element of the organisation.
Our members act as a sounding board for new initiatives, provide support for our advocacy work on issues that impact health services and workforce in country Western Australia, and act as our eyes and ears on the ground in rural communities.
Become a member of Rural Health West
Having a strong and healthy membership is vital to ensuring that we are accurately representing the views of Western Australia's rural and remote medical and health workforce. We do this at local, regional, state and national level.
We invite individuals who work or have an interest in the rural health and medical sector, and organisations which operate in or support rural Western Australia to become members of Rural Health West and help us to ensure that everyone, everywhere has access to quality healthcare.
Contact our Memberships Coordinator to find out more about becoming a member.
"Rural Health West has encouraged and supported my chosen career path, from a new graduate working in rural Western Australia to opening my own physiotherapy clinic in the Wheatbelt. My passion is rural physiotherapy and Rural Health West has helped shape this passion and make my dreams a reality."
- Karen Rodgers-Smart, physiotherapist
Health Professional Member
A Health Professional Member is a Member who:
- is a Health Professional who satisfies the following:
- resides in a rural or remote area; and/or
- currently practises in a rural or remote area; and/or
- is registered with a health practitioner board under the Health Practitioner Regulation National Law (WA) 2010. (Special dispensation for health professionals or other occupational groups who are not eligible to be registered with a health practitioner board as determined by the Board from time to time); and
- is able to demonstrate significant experience and achievement in their respective field (as determined by the Board from time to time).
- is of good standing as determined by the Board.
- is 18 years of age or older.
Fee: $25.00 per annum
- 30+ years of continuous, exemplary service to rural and remote health in Western Australia.
- Extensive service (but less than 30 years) to rural and remote health in Western Australia.
- 20 years of Board, committee or other direct service to the Company or WACRRM (UWA) including staff.
Current Life Members:
- Emeritus Professor Max Kamien (2012)
- Dr Felicity Jefferies (2013)
- Dr Malcolm Hodsdon (2014)
- Professor Geoffrey Riley (2016)
- Dr Stephen Langford (2017)
An organisation which meets each of the following criteria:
- Operates in a rural or remote areas, the Perth metropolitan area of other States and Territories
- Is committed to bettering the health and well-being of communities in rural and remote areas
- Is of good standing as determined by the Board
Fee: $100.00 per annum
Membership with Rural Health West allows you to have a voice at the following events:
PLEASE NOTE: You DO NOT have to be a member to access Rural Health West’s services and programs.
Rural Health West Constitution
Health professionals or organisations who are interested in membership are encouraged to read the
Rural Health West Constitution prior to completing a membership application form.
Recent changes to Rural Health West ConstitutionNurses, midwives, dentists and allied health professionals now have the same membership entitlements as medical practitioner members under the new Rural Health West Constitution approved at the recent Rural Health West Annual General Meeting. The changes received near-unanimous support from voting members at the AGM, held on 29 October 2019.
The new Constitution enables us to broaden our membership base, so that all rural health professionals can have a say in the future direction of the organisation. Under the new Constitution, non-medical health professionals can become voting members of the organisation and are eligible to be elected to the Board. The Board composition will also be changed to increase the representation of nursing, midwifery, dentistry and allied health professionals.
We are excited to expand our membership base so that it better reflects the multidisciplinary and diverse nature of health professionals across rural Western Australia.
You can view a summary of the recent changes here.
Rural Health West Board of Directors
- Two Individual Members, currently residing and practising in rural and remote areas, elected by the Individual Members.
- Two representatives of the Organisational Members, one of whom must be a medical practitioner and one of whom must not be a medical practitioner, elected by all Members.
- Up three persons with a range of business skills elected by members of the board.
- An independent Chair appointed by the Board members shown in 1, 2 and 3 above.
For further information on membership, please contact Rural Health West or telephone (08) 6389 4500.