Remote Area Nurse
About the Role
In the delivery of all nursing care the Remote Area RN will:
- Comply with all applicable evidence based, best practice standards;
- Operate on within the scope of evidence based, best practice standards;
- Comply with all applicable Nursing and Midwifery Board codes of conduct and ethics;
- Comply with all applicable legislation and common law relating to the practice of registered nurses including duty of care laws, professional standards and mandatory reporting legalisation and guidelines;
- Collaborate with team members in a professional way;
- Be accountable to clients, team members and PAMS for actions and service delivery.
Work collaboratively with members of the clinical team to ensure the effective delivery of acute clinical services:
- 24hr emergency and accident services
- Emergency nursing services including advanced life support (adults and paediatrics)
- Trauma care including MVA, burns, poisons, assault
- Emergency triage and evacuation including where applicable, escort of patients
- Wound assessment and management
- Acute illness assessment and management.
Experience & Skills
-Current registration with the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency as a Registered Nurse
-At least 3 years post graduate experience in nursing, demonstrating a sound professional background.
-An understanding and a commitment to the principles of Primary Health Care and Community Development.
- Demonstrated ability to plan, develop, implement and evaluate nursing care programs in a remote primary health setting
-Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively and sensitively with Aboriginal people
5 of 5
- A demonstrated understanding of the unique issues affecting and impacting on the health and wellbeing of Aboriginal people.
-Experience, skills and knowledge working in a multidisciplinary team, including teamwork and conflict management.
-Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- An ability to work, reside and travel independently in a remote region.
-Demonstrated organisational and time management skills along with an ability to adapt to changing needs.
? Ability to work as part of a multidisciplinary team, as well as independently when required
- Sound working knowledge of computer software packages, i.e. MMEX and Communicare.
What's on Offer
Accommodation will be provided in the community you are working in. Jigalong, Punmu, Kunawarritji and Parnngurr.
Fixed term until 2018.
Full Time / Part Time
The Pilbara is located about 1600 kilometres north of Perth, in the north-west region of Western Australia, with an area of around 500,000 square kilometres and a population of approximately 40,000 people. The primary towns are Karratha and Port Hedland on the coast, and Tom Price and Newman inland.
An area of rugged beauty, the Pilbara has a vast coastal plain, spectacular inland ranges and an arid desert region reaching into the centre of Australia. It is characterised by the rich red hues of its landscape, imparted by the abundance of natural riches in its reserves of iron ore. Mining and offshore oil and gas exploration have given rise to the Pilbara’s economic boom in recent years, drawing large numbers of people to the region on both a temporary and permanent basis.
It has a tropical, semi-desert climate with a mainly summer rainfall associated with thunderstorms. From October to April temperatures throughout the region generally exceed 32 degrees celsius every day, sometimes topping 40 degrees, particularly in inland areas.
There are approximately 46 doctors working in the region in various areas, including general practices, Aboriginal Medical Services, hospitals and the Royal Flying Doctor Service.