Securing the right locum for the right practice.
We understand the specialised skills and requirements required to work in rural and remote Western Australia and provide a personalised approach to matching general practitioner locums with practices. Our Locum Placement Service helps secure high-quality locum doctors for Western Australian rural general practices and Aboriginal Medical Services.
The Locum Placement Service is funded by the Australian Government Department of Health and the WA Country Health Service.
Information for general practices and Aboriginal Medical ServicesWe assist your practice in securing a locum doctor through:
- advertising your locum vacancy on our website and through our regular e-bulletins;
- providing visiting locums with details of the area and practice they will be working in;
- assisting with negotiating fees and placement terms;
- assisting with applications for Medicare provider numbers;
- arranging and payment of travel for the locum doctor; and
- providing handover guidelines for general practices and Aboriginal Medical Services.
If you would like to register your locum vacancy, please complete the vacancy form.
Information for locum general practitioners
Locum placements can take place for one week or several months, and may be in regional centres or remote outback locations. To view the current opportunities please see the current opportunities page. If you have a particular location or period of time in which you would like to complete a placement please email the locum team.
If you are new to rural locums, you can register with Rural Health West to receive updates on locum placement opportunities. If you would like to refresh your skills, we can assist you to identify appropriate training prior to your placement. Rural Health West facilitates numerous workshops each year in Perth and regional locations, and you maybe eligible for a subsidy to attend some of these workshops and conferences. For more information on these opportunities please visit the events calendar.
If you have any questions please contact the Locum Team or telephone (08) 6389 4500.