In this broadcast Professor Ian Rogers and Dr Scott Teasdale join Dr Olga Ward to discuss health hazards resulting from extreme temperature including;
- Dealing with hypothermia in a rural and remote setting
- Heat stroke and heat exhaustion
- Fluid intake and how much is too much
- Remote area first aid kits for doctors
- Effects of alcohol and drugs in both hot and cold climates
- Preparing patients for potential issues when travelling or mountain climbing.
Anecdotes from Dr Abby Harwood, who has worked on expedition boats in the Arctic and Antarctic, provide insight to challenges of extreme temperature health hazards.
This broadcast has been allocated two CPD points by The RACGP and one CPD point by ACRRM. CPD points are not guaranteed and are subject to review by both agencies.