Professional development grants for the rural health workforce.
The Health Workforce Scholarship Program (HWSP) is an initiative of the Australian Government Department of Health designed to improve access to health services needed in rural areas.
The Program aims to support health professionals in rural and remote Australia to develop their skills, capacity and scope of practice.
Rural medical, nursing, midwifery, dentistry and allied health professionals, including Aboriginal health practitioners can apply for funding towards:
- Undertaking further postgraduate study.
- Development and upskilling courses.
- One-off payments to cover the cost of training or course fees and/or to cover or partially cover some training-related expenses such as travel, where appropriate.
Frequently Asked Questions
Applicants must meet the following eligibility criteria to apply:
- Working in the field of medicine, nursing, midwifery, dentistry or allied health (including Aboriginal health practitioners) providing primary care
- Working or intending to work in MM 3-7 location (ie. you have a service or employment agreement)
- Working in private practice, an Aboriginal Medical Service or non-government organisation (cannot be solely employed by State Government)
- Skills or knowledge gained through intended study must help address an identified health need in the community.
- Medical practitioners
- Allied health professionals
- Aboriginal health practitioners
The HWSP is only available to practising medical, nursing, midwifery, dentistry, allied health professionals, including Aboriginal health practitioners who are providing services in a MM 3-7 location.
The HWSP is available to health professionals located in or providing services to areas categorised as Modified Monash (MM) 3-7 locations. You can find the classification of a location via the DoctorConnect website.
Courses and activities do not need to be accredited, but will be assessed by Rural Health West for relevance, value for money and the likelihood to meet the identified need.
If an employer will be covering the cost of training, the individual is not eligible to apply.
Applications will be online, right here on this website from Wednesday 26 September 2018.
Phone: 08 6389 4500