More than 150 delegates attended this year’s Annual Conference and Trade Exhibition 2016 held at the Pan Pacific Perth on Saturday 19 and Sunday 20 March 2016.
Delegates took part in presentations, clinical updates and case study discussions that explored this year’s theme, The yin and yang of rural health care – Men and women’s health from the adolescent to the elderly. A range of educational sessions and hands-on workshops were provided to meet the learning needs of rural and remote health professionals.
Mr Paul Dessauer, Outreach Coordinator, Western Australian Substance Users’ Association, engaged the audience with his presentation on illicit drug use and Australia’s three-pronged drug strategy.
Dr Hilton Koppe, who practises on the New South Wales coast, discussed ways to improve patient care, and reduce burnout and compassion fatigue in doctors. In his most recent role as a Senior Medical Educator, he was able to share his years of experience as both clinician and educator.
A question and answer panel discussion coordinated by The Rural Clinical School of Western Australia was a particular highlight with rural female and male practitioners from varied medical specialties, locations and lifestyles speaking about the ups and downs of working in rural practice. Titled Satisfaction and sanity, the panel was well attended by doctors, medical and allied health students. For students and junior doctors who are considering a career in the country, the Rural Doctors Association Western Australia also provided sponsorship to enable them to attend this unique discussion.
“I really enjoyed the panel discussion. As a second year medical student it was incredibly beneficial to be able to hear from a number of rural practitioners and gain an insight into what it means to be a 'country doctor'.” – 2016 delegate
Rural Health West would like to thank all presenters who participated in the Annual Conference and Trade Exhibition 2016.
Permission has kindly been given to Rural Health West to publish the below presentations.
- IVF Update: Latest techniques and advances - Simon Turner, Hollywood IVF Centre
- Managing mental health conditions and suicide risk among FIFO workers - Philippa Vojnovic, Communicare Psychological Services
- The pill box: Drug prescribing for older adults - Mark Donaldson, Royal Perth Hospital
- Sport medicine: The assessment and management of various common sport injuries and athlete-specific concerns - Gavan White, Synergy Sports Medicine
- Heart disease in female patients - Nigel Sinclair, HeartCare Western Australia
- Strategies to respond to domestic violence in the health care setting - Angela Hartwig, Women's Council for Domestic and Family Violence Services (WA)
- Assessment and management of dementia in general practice - Leon Flicker, Western Australian Centre for Health and Ageing
- Gender diversity and your teenage patient - Julia Moore, Gender Diversity Clinic, Princess Margaret Hospital
- Palliative care in a perinatal setting - Andy Gill and Sonya Criddle, King Edward Memorial Hospital
- Investigation of chest pain in men - Ben King, HeartCare Western Australia
- Bowel and bladder management for your elderly patient - Lucy Kilshaw, Geriatrician
- How to cure hepatitis C in your clinic - Michael Wallace, Australian Society for HIV Medicine Inc.
- Clinical update for antenatal care providers - Suzanne Meharry, WA Country Health Service
- Sexual health: a pathway to attainment - Lewis Marshall, Fiona Stanley Hospital
For more information, please contact the events team
or call 08 6389 4525.